Saturday 10 October 2009

Year 9 Creative Writing

Year 9 Set 2 have recently been developing their creative writing skills and here are a few of the openings which they have created.


Lost And Trapped. By Rachael Power 9v

There we were, stranded, my best friend and I, sat there waiting patiently for the taxi to arrive ready to depart on a tropical adventure in the blistering sun; getting away from work, parents and the horrific weather. The taxi finally arrived and it resembled an oasis in the desert to us. When we entered into the taxi, it was a strange looking man who greeted us. His hair was dishevelled, he looked like he had just been electrocuted and his whole demeanour was unfortunate. His breath smelt like the coffee-breath my old teacher relentlessly sent onto my nostrils during English lessons, his clothes were torn and ragged and we started to doubt that this would be the most thrilling start to our holiday. His taxi smelt like cigarettes, sick and fish. We tried to talk to him but the only response we got from him was a muttered “uh uh uh” before glancing at us through the rear mirror and regaining his focus on the horizon
We were 10 minutes away from the place and suddenly, unexpectedly he swung the car violently and took a right turn. Sarah and I was feeling uneasy and the silence which had been eating away at us now lead to a new fear as we were both shaking uncontrollably. We couldn’t feel our bones. I felt sick stirring in the pit of my stomach and nauseous through the experience as the car jolted over boulders and into potholes. He gave out this hearty, energetic laugh and abruptly stopped the cab and threw us out, sending dust clouds reaching into the sky.
We watched the foolish maniac drive off and leave us as his tyres screeched and made away along the road, and there we were isolated, standing, shaking, wondering why we were there and what would consume our fear next.
It was getting darker and dusk was beginning to settle in the sky, the wind was picking up and the vultures were circling, hunting for their evening delicacies. With each minute, my watch ticked; I could here it, the ticking in my head driving my patience to the limit. ‘Tick, tock, tick, tock it’ just wouldn’t go away and was haunting my every thought. Luckily, we had a tent and sleeping bags with us and in an attempt to ease our concerns, pretended it would be an adventure so we put up our tents, built a campfire and had our own little campsite. Unable to sleep, after eating our precious reserves of chocolate, It was now 12.30am; we were finally drifting off when suddenly, a heavy deafening bang brought us back to reality and sent animals screaming in terror in every direction.


The Night Assassin

In one of the many worlds we had conquered, there was a myth. The myth took place amongst the ruins of the planet Jupiter; it concerned a dark creature which lurked around a certain region which was not long named ‘The Dark Lair’. No one knows whether it was true or not but no one wanted the myth to hold any link to reality due to its dangerous nature.

Some people still don’t believe it but most don’t want to, for if it was true that might signal the end of the human race!

Technicians and scientists constructed the finest designed machinery and cameras which were to roam around Jupiter to examine its many mysteries, but more so, to try and unveil the hideous mythical beast.

Men dressed in white, clinically fashioned, were watching the cameras like a wolf eyeing its prey, awaiting a moment to treasure. None stopped watching, just to see what was on this never before fully explored planet. Finally, the robot arrived on Jupiter but for some unforeseen and unexplainable reason it had descended on the wrong location. The robot landed with a jolt straight into the wrath of the night assassin. It exited from the rocket carrying it to the planet and the observers noted a dark, mischievous figure moving at high speed toward the robot.

“Can you see that?” Came a question from an amazed expert analysing its pace and movement; its speed was incredible!

“We see it, but we don’t know a thing about this place; it might just be fumes or illuminations coming from the atmosphere’. The ‘fumes’ were indeed getting closer, and closer. As quick as a flash, the special examiner robot’s transmission back to earth was terminated and there was no more communication. Five years of research went into constructing that machine and now it was missing.


“What the hell just happened?” Came a concerned and bewildered response from one technician, his face red with fury.

“What did just happen?” repeated another, equally as annoyed.

After experiencing what just happened, the scientists forced the council to gather together highly experienced people who could embark on a mission to recover the product of their toil and hard work. As a consequence of much deliberation a team was assembled, consisting of: two trained assassins, a technician, a demolition expert and a skilled weapons’ expert who was to also act as captain for the mission.


Oliver Birtwistle

We were ever so delighted to see dry land on the horizon, the sun glistening on then coruscating yellow beach, the pure green leaves on the trees. The purity of the blue sky, and most of all, the fresh meat overhanging of all the animals that would be swarming in and out of trees on the island.

A gale of wind suddenly hit the ship with an enormous amount of force and we were lucky that it didn’t put us off track. The anchor was cautiously lowered down and the Ship’s crew stepped foot on to the golden sands.

“let’s split up, half of you will go and find a feast for a dinner, and half of you make camp for our stay on this exquisite island.” Came the demand from the officer in charge.

I was in the camp building assortment. We had little resources: hammers, nails, saws and plastic sheets. We went out into the woodland individually to get wood to build our camp but as the hours passed there was no sign of the other half of the party.

Suddenly, without warning, a man bolted out of the woodland gasping for air.

“ What happened?” We demanded to know.

“ …. W’ w’ w we….” He stuttered nervously before eventually saying, “ well there was something in the forest and it ate Robert, our main sailor. How we meant to get back now? , I’m lucky to evade whatever it was but there are 23 people still far afield and trapped by it!”

We sat still, glued to the sand, as a wave of fear swept over us all.


Jack Burke

It’s going to steal it!
But I need it!
He can’t take that away from me, not again!
Why? Why did I have to?
No, it doesn’t matter, it wasn’t on purpose… it just …happened. I had no other choice, she was begging and no…. Stop! It’s just not important now!
It warned me, it’s coming today! It will drag me to hell! Oh no, this can’t happen! It’s entirely his fault any way! I can taste my fear and it’s stuck in my throat!
That cursed demon it makes me sick! It’s been tormenting me ever since ….. Never mind…
When I’m in its sinful presence, it drains all the love and happiness from my weak soul! It’s devouring my life; why should I suffer for its loss? The misery it’s causing me, it’s unbearable. I’m just a pawn in this twisted game.
I can smell the rotting blood on its murderous hands; it’s very close, I know, but where? My ears are being tortured by its screeching laugh, it’s just like a screaming banshee that’s being strangled.
Satan! He’s dragged me from heaven! Where am I going, well falling? I am sinking into an abyss.
I hate it! If his son didn’t try to kill me, it wouldn’t have fallen from that cliff and…
Anyway, that was years ago; all of the people that the gremlin has murdered, tortured, kidnapped and committed a multitude of even worse sins for his own benefit and fun, he doesn’t care. He isn’t bothered that he’s sick and evil; he deserves to suffer like all of those families!
Now where is this shocked little angel falling …could it be….hell?

Katrina Urhegyi

Saturday night!

All alone, the biting rain battered at my skin. I didn’t know where to go, just carried on walking south, far away from disaster. The rain hardened and I couldn’t take the pain, it was like the rain was eating my face away bit by bit. Thinking of the memories, the good ones to erase the hurt, but all was ruined by the dreadful ones which kept re-entering my confused mind.
In the distance, a flicker of light emerged out of pure blackness; It looked like a bolt of lightning. As the rain poured down relentlessly, I got closer and noticed that it was shelter. With relief, I pounced to the warmth of the light in delight, but unexpectedly, the ground collapsed, dragging my whole body down. I yelled desperately to save my life…
I grabbed on to anything I could, fragments of dirt and rock crumbled away at the tips of my fingers. I crashed to the ground below, mud and stones surrounding me like elves wishing to take my life. Trying to drag myself up, through shock and pain, my body was throbbing in fear. I gripped on to the walls but it just crumbled away as they were spongy and damp from the rain; it was like when children play with clay and its moisture causes it to break effortlessly.
My eyes were burning in pain, unable to actually see much around me. I rubbed my eyes trying to ascertain my location; I glared around and could vaguely see an opening to a tunnel. A small, cramped, narrow tunnel dripping with water droplets causing an annoying sound to fill my mind with scary images of what lay beyond. Cobwebs were hanging from the rear top of the tunnel. I peered up to see if I could mount an ascent back up but it was too high. I continued to scream for help but no one was around at this time and is was too cold to stay there till break of dawn. The only way to go, I subsequently decided, was through the damp, deadly tunnel. All on my own and with the fear of all creatures beyond eating away at my mind.

Charlotte Moss

The Fog
Where am I?
What am I doing here?
The Freezing, winter winds brushed across my red cheeks. What was that? I started sprinting. As I was running, the sound was getting further and further away - luckily. I paused for a breath; my stomach was churning as nervous tension took over my body.
I looked up, all I could see around me was mud; creepy trees and bushes rose above me, I was terrified. That sound was coming back, returning to my ear drums, but nothing was there again: I thought I might just be hearing things yet again. I looked back up for the second time and I started seeing things; I thought I might just be hallucinating, but they were strange things entering my pupils...
Extremely strange things were coming towards me, I had never seen anything like them before and I have never heard anything like that noise either; this truly was a really odd place. I started running again trying to find my way out of this horrid place; it was like a never ending forest. I have never been anywhere like it at this moment in time couldn’t see any way out.

Tara Gerrard

The Mass Murder (opening) by Hannah Williams


A young blonde woman named Teresa, was walking down a dark alley way, when she heard a screeching, blood curdling noise, which had come from the gloomy warehouse behind her. She inquisitively turned and walked towards, and through, the dark opening of the warehouse and immediately felt an uneasy presence, which came along with a stale, alcoholic smell. She stepped back in fear, only to find that the door had been closed and locked. This caused mass panic and as she struggled to find an exit; she managed to fall over a collection of dusty boxes which crunched like bones upon her fall.

As she picked herself up she noticed a shadow lurking in the distance, which sent a shiver down her spine. This shadow stood out from the dull moonlight which flooded the warehouse. As she glared up at the enormous shadow, a hand grabbed her fragile neck and pushed her against the wall. She lost consciousness for a moment and as she came round, a bearded man with a scar on his right cheek appeared threateningly; he lunged a knife at her throat and slit her throat open. He dropped her violently onto the floor, she sat there crying cradling her neck and as she started to blackout, she heard sirens in the background, she thought she was saved…


The Opposite!
By Emma Hargreaves

I felt like I was trapped in one of those terrifying nightmares, the ones we have all experienced where you have to run, run till your lungs burst but you can’t make your body move fast enough.

Why would I want to run? I’m sure he cares and loves me more than any other person has felt. I remember when he first told me…

Gazing in to his romantic eyes, it was like we were made for each over; it was all so perfect. We were lying on a chequered quilt in the middle of an outstretched forest, with the blistering sun shining on our pale white faces. The air was so fresh, like the moist grass when it’s just been cut. I have never seen him act like this; he burst out into unstoppable tears. He would not stop, then he told me. I wanted to disappear into thin air and just get him away. I was so nervous and petrified but I loved him.

Knowing about this I couldn’t depart and leave him, it would fracture my heart, leave it in splinters unable to be repaired. I felt like we were in a fairytale, the creature what he had transformed into was so unbelievable. I should have figured it out. I trusted him, he would never harm anyone not even another creature; he was like a feather-soft, even though he was the most powerful predator in the universe.

There was only one word to describe him; the word would have to have the complete opposite meaning to the term ‘human race’; it would have to be opposite, whatever that would be.

We were lying still.
Falling in love with this beautiful beast was putting me in greater danger, the most peril I have ever been in before, but did I actually care? This is a question I can’t answer; all I know is that we were in love. We closed our eyes flawlessly and lay in each others arms.

The next morning I woke up with the blinding sun scorching my wintry face covered in fresh morning dew; I could see the shimmering blue sky way above blemished with clouds. Feeling for my rough, brightly coloured bag I eventually retrieved it, picking it up, looking round, not knowing where I was. I was so anxious.

I started to her voices coming from many places around me; I was spinning round internally, fear taking over me. What was happening? I turned round and he was there. I remember him whispering, "with ice in my heart". I watched him, prepared to defend me. His intense concentration betrayed no hint of doubt, though he was outnumbered...
I knew that we could expect no help-at this moment. Black eyes, wild with their fierce craving for my death, watched for the moment when my protector’s attention would be diverted. I stumbled to the ground and my eyes shut immediately. All I knew was that I was fainting and eventually darkness consumed me. I woke up and it was a battle field; I was desperately looking around for some clues to what was happening but as I did so something hit me with great force.

I woke up with a bite mark on my arm, blood was dripping profusely out, pouring I put my head down and thought of OPPOSITE…..